Mission Statement: To monitor relevant issues affecting the local business community, and help develop responses to such issues.
COMMITTEE MEMBERS:Julie Hasquet (co-chair) - Chugach Electric Association, Inc.
Calvin Schrage (co-chair) - Frontier Tutoring
Art Clark - Broker
John Weddleton - Bosco's
Forrest Dunbar - Anchorage Assembly
JR Wilcox - Prudhoe Bay Chemical, LLC
George Vakalis - Vakalis & Associates
The MAC posed nine questions to each of Anchorage's mayoral candidates for a forum that took place on Monday, February 26th. The link below will take you to each candidate's responses. (Please note: Paul Kendall and Jacob Kern did not respond with their answers.)
PROGRAM OF WORK
- Responsible for the Anchorage Chamber advocacy program related to municipal business including development, implementation, and evaluation.
- Responsible for considering the needs of our members and the municipality priorities of the board.
- Responsible for researching and monitoring progress of all proposed legislation in the municipality and state arenas relevant to our mission of advancing a successful business climate
- Prioritizes proposed legislation on which the Anchorage Chamber can have a significant impact, creates an advocacy strategy, and makes recommendations to the board.
- Inventory and review priorities relevant to the Municipality of Anchorage.
- Consider the need to survey membership for municipal issues of concern.
- Develop municipal priorities and advocacy plan for each priority.
- Develop standard language and format for letters of support and public testimony for each priority.
- Describe action to be taken for each priority.
- Review pending legislation and prioritize based on member concerns.
- Work with staff to report to the membership the activities of the committee and how to engage on a regular basis (monthly).