The Legislative Committee works to gather proposed legislation at the state and federal levels that may impact businesses in Anchorage. It communicates directly with the Anchorage Chamber Board of Directors and members in an effort to develop advocacy actions that ensures a successful business climate.
Meeting Time: The last Monday of each month at 3:30 p.m. in the Anchorage Chamber boardroom.
- Anchorage Chamber of Commerce Supports Municipality and Anchorage School District Bond Packages
- Develop and implement a sustainable fiscal plan: The Anchorage Chamber of Commerce strongly encourages the governor and the legislature to take immediate action to implement a sustainable, long-term solution to address Alaska’s fiscal challenges.
- Reduce the budget: The Anchorage Chamber of Commerce members highly support a significant reduction in the state budget.
- Consider new, broad-based, sustainable revenue sources: The Anchorage Chamber of Commerce members support a statewide sales tax, the creation of a statewide lottery and some use of the Permanent Fund earnings.
- Provide funding for Alaska’s most strategic port: The Port of Anchorage, Alaska largest port, annually handles 3.5 million tons of goods bound for over 200 communities across our state. It’s Alaska’s economic heart, where more than 85% of the cargo ends up in the homes of Alaskans, and half of the cargo is bound for destinations outside of Anchorage. The structural integrity of the 55-year old port is significantly compromised and well beyond its expected life. Funding is urgently needed to shore up this critical statewide infrastructure to ensure continued everyday service for all Alaskans – as well as service in the aftermath of a major seismic event.
PROGRAM OF WORKResponsibilities
- Responsible for the Anchorage Chamber advocacy program including development, implementation, and evaluation.
- Responsible for considering the needs of our members and the legislative priorities of our board.
- Responsible for researching and monitoring progress of all proposed legislation in the local, state, and federal arenas relevant to our mission of advancing a successful business climate.
- Prioritizes proposed legislation on which the Anchorage Chamber can have a significant impact, creates an advocacy strategy, and makes recommendations to the board.
- Responsible for outreach to as wide an acquaintanceship as possible with key decision makers so that immediate contacts can be made as needed to learn their positions and to present the Anchorage Chamber's viewpoints on issues as they develop.
- Responsible for developing and implementing an advocacy communications strategy which effectively informs members and engages members to testify, provide, comments, vote, etc. All out-going communications must be shared and approved by appropriate Anchorage Chamber staff (committee notices, mass member emails, website updates, social media entries, etc.).
- To operate all advocacy efforts within the budget approved by the board of directors.
- Develop survey and survey membership for legislative issues of concern for the next year's legislative session - to be completed by November 1 of current year.
- Review standing resolutions and make recommendations to the board for those to carry forward.
- Develop legislative priorities and advocacy plan for each priority.
- Develop standard language and format for letters of support and public testimony for each priority.
- Describe action to be taken for each priority.
- Review pending legislation and prioritize based on member concerns.